I found this video from iheartbees. I was most amazed by the hives these bees live in.
Category Archives: equipment
After 4 solid days of wet cold weather in Austin, the sky opened up Sunday afternoon to clear blue skies and sun. I took the opportunity to check in on Knives’ hive as there is the potential for more wet weather later in the week.
The girls were very cranky which I’m hoping was due to them being cooped up in the hive for most of the week. Nowhere near as bad as Marge’s hive (who has set the bar incredibly high), but hotter than they were the previous weekend.
I got stung on my neck again in pretty much the same place as a few weeks ago. At least this time, it was just one instead of the 3-4 I got last time. I really feel that my suit and more specifically, my veil, is just not cutting it. I originally opted to go with a zipper suit and veil seen below as I thought it would be cooler in the summer as well as offering better peripheral vision.
However, I’m finding that the veil tends to bunch up in odd ways which tends to trap bees. It will also not always stay flared out so during an inspection so the veil will sometimes be right up against parts of my neck and hence the stinging.
I’ve decided to purchase one of the Ultra Breeze Suits. Several folks in Austin highly recommend them for being cool even in the summer and very sting proof. I’m hopeful it will arrive before my next inspection so I can put it through the paces.
With Queen Knives recent ascension to power, our whole evil-ex super concept got thrown off. We will still add the evil-ex supers as needed, but decided to pay respects to Ramona by creating a super that depicts the epic battle between Ramona and Knives from the comic. We like to think this is what went down in the hive as well.
Thanks to the camera team for their drawing, inking, and lettering skills.
The one good thing about the hot and dry weather here in Austin is the ease of melting wax in my homemade solar wax melter. It doesn’t hold a lot of wax, but with every day being hot and sunny, I can process a lot of small batches. Here is the before shot.
If you want to review how I made this contraption, check out this previous post.
Last year, I had a bunch of t-shirts made with the artwork I had done for my honey label. I’ve since had several folks ask where they could get a t-shirt of their very own so I’ll soon be placing another order. The t-shirts are cheaper the more I have made so I thought I’d see if any of my blog readers would like one. Let me know if you are interested and once I get a final count, I’ll have a better idea on price. I think last time I got them around $15-20 a shirt. We can figure out size and such later.
Update: If we get 25 shirts made, it is a straight $10 per shirt. Since we always have folks wanting one, we are just going to go ahead and order 25. If you are interested, please let me know size and style based on these links.
Here are some photos so you can imagine how dead sexy you’ll look.
I performed a quick check on the top feeder in Ramona’s hive. The girls had sucked it dry so I filled it up again. I really meant to visit on Wednesday, but work unfortunately got in the way. This should see them through the weekend when I’ll check to see that Ramona has been released from the queen cage.
It certainly is a cool looking hive, and I’ll definitely be following his blog to see how it works out. My only concern would be the size of some of the frames in the main brood section if you ever needed to get them out to inspect.