I performed a quick February inspection today to make sure the girls had plenty of honey to last them through the end of the month and into the start of the wildflower season in March. I made a batch of 1:1 sugar solution with a touch of Honey B Healthy just in case their stores were running low. When I removed 8 frames of honey on October 2nd, 2010, I was slightly worried I was taking too much, but as it turns out, my fears were unfounded. The top two supers were still full or even fuller with honey than when I last checked in December.
Here I found evidence of some newly capped honey which is in the frame perch. I’m lifting a frame of older honey as a contrast.
So as it stands now, Large Marge is living large with ample stores of sweet delicious honey. This will be great when I start the second hive in April as I will be able to loan some full frames of honey to the new hive to give them a kick start of food and drawn comb for egg laying.